CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What about my son having Aspergers do U not understand?

So for those of you who don't know my son has Asperger Syndrome. It is a form of Autism that is characerized by having significant difficulties in social interaction. Also they display behaviors, interests, & activities that are repetitive(dislike changes in routine, may stim(repetitive movements with hands such as hand flapping, twirling hair, etc. They get preoccupied by 1-2 interests and talk alot about their favorite subjects be it a video game, dinosaurs, etc.) My son's at this moment is Kingdom hearts . He watches KH videos on youtube everyday, He plays it constantly, and talks about it alot.They have sensitivity to sensory stimuli (light, sounds, touch) Has sensory overload-With my son it's a regular classroom with alot of children talking. The noise bothers him greatly and he has actually walked out of classrooms because it was too loud. Aspies have a hard time making friends and even sometimes even have a lack of interest in peers. Children with Aspergers have difficulty recognizing emotions and how to express them.

A person with Aspergers might be honest like to the point some people find them rude..They are just telling U how they feel not realizing this is socially unacceptable.(My son tells the teacher this is boring)Well to him it is boring and he doesn't care/realize teachers don't like this..I myself I don't care if he says it's boring(that is his feeling, I validate it I say I know you feel it's boring and that's o.k. ) U still have to do the work though..



O.k. now that I have given U some information on what Asperger Syndrome is imagine this you have Aspergers and U go to school. A very stressful environment with constant sensory involvement and constant socialization. Two major stressors that are hard to cope with.. This is what my son has to deal with everyday..



Now imagine being a mother that has a son with Aspergers. Knowing that most of your sons' behaviors are not because he wanted to be defiant. He just couldn't handle it anymore but U still have to punish him because he can't hit anyone, he can't call the teacher stupid, etc.



Now I must get on the subject of my son's school...I have never had to deal with a school that really could care less about helping my son til now. In all other schools he had a IEP meeting every 6 weeks. If the stimuli was getting too much (you know this by cetain behaviors-getting frustrated, not wanting to do work, etc) He was given extra time in the quiet room and accomodations were made such as putting him in a smaller room, (since he doesn't like writing letting him do his work on the computer), letting him have less spelling words, etc. The point is the other schools noticed very quickly that his behaviors "meant something" and we worked together to find solutions to help him..

These things helped Devin very much and his behavior was much better. I have not had a IEP meeting yet and this is past the 2nd nine week mark.Even though Devin has been having some of the above behaviors. I was told he had a D in Science.. This astounds me!!Devin loves science-he loves experiments, he loves Star trek, he likes learning about planets and even knows what a nebula is..(what one looks like anyways LOL) So I asked Devin why aren't U doing your work? He preceeds to tell me it is too noisy in there...the children talk back and forth..It is hard to concentrate..I'm wondering why can't his damn teachers see what i've been seeing his behaviors are getting more defiant, getting worse. Can't U tell that something is going on with him.. No She wants to tell me everything he does wrong though-devin burped, devin made the class laugh, devin says this is boring and he upset the class when he said that..Frankly I don't care if the class got upset if Devin stated his opinion. ..Lady do U even know the behaviors of a child with Aspergers? Even though I have been sick I wrote the teacher a note and told her look I think some adjustments needs to be made;He might need to be in a smaller room for science cause the noise is bothering him.

I do this because apparently she can't see the changes that have been occurring with Devin..Even though she is supposed to know all about aspergers..Even before the note I was asking her we need a meeting..Fell on deaf ears. So guess what today Devin was in art(another large classroom with kids) apparently he took his apron off and on purpose hit a girl in the face with the apron strings. Devin says it's a accident..Then the damn vice principal writes 3 girls said Devin did it on purpose. How the Hell do they know! U don't know what is in his head..Do they even know he has Aspergers?So they ask him to apologize Devin will not because he says U don't have to apologize if it's a accident. But if I had hit her on purpose it would be different. So now he has after school detention for 2 hrs not because he hit the girl but because he did not apologize. O.k. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be punished for hitting just could it be he couldn't take it anymore(too noisey) or maybe gasp it was a accident..

One time the teacher wrote devin explained to me how to do his math work but he will not write it down..Aspies are visual learners.They picture how to solve the problem in their heads. To make them write out how they got the answer to them is illogical. Don't U understand U have to meet my son where he is at. Does this school know that the behaviors he is exhibiting is not because he wants to be defiant, rude, etc..there just might be more to it. Uh its called he has Asperger Syndrome..Devin is supposed to be able to go to a quiet room daily..This helps with the stress and stimuli he has to deal with..I asked my son Do you have a quiet room..He says No..The child needs to know he can go to the quiet room whenever he feels frustrated, etc..It calms a Aspers child down..Is she letting him use it? What the hell is going on ?is anything in the old IEP(since this IEP was written last year in a different school with teachers who knew what the hell they were doing!!)

being implemented!! Thompson 6th grade center is ran by a bunch of idiots!!Yes U Brent Tolbert are a IDIOT!! Pay the freak attention okay!! Ask yourself he was doing so well now he is doing badly? hmm Could there possibly be a reason? and I have to ask them for a meeting since we don't have one scheldued(IEP) til 2011..What the hell? If I let this go on he would most definately fail and oh no I don't want him in this stupid ass school for another year!! Like nothing could change til 2011. I tell the vice principal these adjustments have worked previously with success, try them!! Look at his file and know these behaviors are not new..mostly means he needs to be back in smaller room with more breaks. I'm not trained in Aspergers but damn I know enough to know if I was a teacher I would see if these behaviors match what happened in previous years and what was implemented to help...































































Who are the REAL specialists?

0 comments: